top under header

Wednesday, 6 July 2016

Places to Visit: Blenheim Palace


I'm going to start this post by saying that the blog has been a bit quieter during the last month or so. Things have been a bit crazy at work and if I'm honest, I just haven't had the inclination to sit writing blog posts when I get home. I made the decision to not put any pressure on myself to put things up, after all this blog is a hobby and should be enjoyable rather than something that is a chore.

Anyway...myself and hubby recently went on a little trip to Oxfordshire and really enjoyed it. It was such a welcome little break. I felt like sharing our trip to Blenheim Palace (which is in a part of Oxfordshire called Woodstock) so here we go! I may do another post soon as we also visited Oxford and I did a bit of beauty shopping at Kiko-super exciting because I don't have one anywhere near home!

Blenheim Palace
Blenheim Palace is set in absolutely stunning grounds. Hubby is really interested in history (I do find parts of it interesting but he's more of a history buff than I am!) and there is certainly plenty of history to it. 

It is the family home of the 12th Duke of Marlborough and has been passed from Duke to Duke over the centuries. It was built in the early 18th century to celebrate victory over the French in the War of the Spanish Succession. It was given as a gift to the first Duke of Marlborough (otherwise known as John Churchill). He was a military commander who led the Allied forces in the 1704 Battle of Blenheim (hence the name!).
Blenheim Palace
Not to mention it is also the birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill, who was born in 1874. He also proposed to his wife, Clementine Hozier, in the grounds and are lots of historical artifacts, tributes and plenty of information about him around the palace and grounds.

Inside Blenheim Palace: the room where Churchill was born
Churchill bust inside the grounds of Blenheim
Some of the rooms inside are pretty spectacular, with extravagant chandeliers, ornate ceilings, some amazing furniture and many paintings.

One of the Palace State Rooms
Amazing ceiling at Blenheim Palace
Amazing ceiling at Blenheim Palace
The fanciest cot I've ever seen!
I was pretty amazed by the palace's fantastic looking organ, which I would love to have a go of!

Organ inside Blenheim Palace

Blenheim Palace gardens
Blenheim Palace Gardens
There is a large lake that you can walk by, it was so peaceful.The grounds are huge and you could honestly spend hours just walking around them. In fact, there are routes mapped out on the map we got on arrival for those who fancy a longer walk.

Blenheim Palace gardens: The Lake
Blenheim Palace gardens: The Rose Garden
Blenheim Palace gardens: Flower in the Rose Garden


We spent around 5 hours walking around both the palace and grounds before we had to catch our coach but honestly we could have spent longer exploring the rest of the grounds if we'd had the time and energy! Amazing how tiring walking around places like this is haha, worth it though!



Have you ever visited Blenheim Palace or anywhere similar? What do you think?

Em x