top under header

Wednesday, 25 May 2016

Review and Swatches: Makeup Revolution Smokey Palette



I came across Makeup Revolution's Smokey palette in Superdrug a couple of weeks ago and it's an obvious dupe of the Urban Decay Smoky palette (yes it's spelled differently, without the e). I think that Makeup Revolution make some great products for the price point but I do sometimes wonder how they get away with producing so many products that are so obviously designed to dupe things from more expensive brands. The Urban Decay version was something I liked the look of when it came out but I didn't think I'd get enough use out of the grey shades to justify the price tag (I tend to wear warmer tones during the day and only really go for a grey smokey eye for evening wear). As much as I love the quality of UD eye shadows, the smoky palette is pricey at £38.50, by comparison to the Revolution one, which cost me £6.


The packaging of the palette is sleek and black with gold writing. It feels like decent quality considering it cost £6 and I love the large mirror inside. I do wish, however, that there was some differentiation between their palettes on the front. The only way to tell which is which is by looking at the name on thee sticker on the back. If you have a few palettes from them like I do, it's slightly irritating. 


Anyway...it's what's inside that counts! Inside are 12 eye shadows that are great quality, really smooth and pigmented. They're obviously not quite as good quality as the UD palette will be but they are just brilliant for £6. Even the mattes are nice and smooth and easy to work with, which is not always the case, especially with cheaper eye shadows. 


Also included is a double ended brush with a flat side for packing shadow onto the lid and a more round side that could be used for blending or putting colour into the crease. It's not the best quality brush and I would always use my own, but if you don't have brushes already, it is far better than those little sponge applicators that companies usually include in more budget friendly palettes.



Overall, I really do think this is a brilliant palette for a bargainous price. If like me, they are colours that you would only use every now and then, or you just don't want to spend a fortune on an eye shadow palette, I'd really recommend it.

Have you tried this palette or the Urban Decay version? What do you think?

Em x