top under header

Saturday, 9 April 2016

Beauty Empties, Reviews and Fails #18

Once again I have a bag full of empties I'm getting rid of as well as a few disappointing beauty products. Here's what I think of each...

Bath and Body


1. The Body Shop Vineyard Peach Shower Gel and...
2. The Body Shop Vineyard Peach Body Lotion both smell delicious! They were a limited edition scent but are still available on the website (now in the sale). I am trying to work my way through my rather large stash of shower gels and body lotions at the moment (including some other Body Shop products) so won't be repurchasing them but I would love it if this scent was made permanent.

3. Dove Caring Bath with Shea Butter and Warming Vanilla is a really nice bath product for the price. Dove bath creams are something I buy quite often as they are cheap and cheerful, pretty moisturising and smell nice too. No doubt I will repurchase one of these at some point.

4. Dove Derma Spa Body Cream is something I enjoyed, although it wasn't quite what I expected. It's actually more of a gel-cream texture and has a nice fresh but not overpowering scent so it is quite refreshing. I received this in a gift set at Christmas and would definitely consider buying it once I've used up some other body moisturisers.

5. Superdrug Plum and Red Cherry Bath Essence smelled nice (think black forest gateaux!) and made bubbles but there isn't an awful lot more I can say really. It did the job and for the bargainous price of 10p on the sale shelf, I'm not complaining. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it again if it is still available.

6. Bubble T Summer Fruits Tea Bath Fizzies and
7. Bubble T Summer Fruits Tea Bath and Shower Jelly
both smell absolutely gorgeous. The jelly is a bit of a novelty product really but the two used together made for a lovely bath with bubbles and a very fruity, refreshing scent. I would definitely consider buying these again because I really enjoyed them. See my review of them here.

Skincare


1. Nuxe Reve de Miel Lip Balm stick was very disappointing in comparison to the pot version. The one in the pot is my favourite lip balm ever and quickly sorts out the driest of lips. This, on the other hand, gives them some slip temporarily but somehow makes them drier than they were! I've used it a fair few times in the hopes it will suddenly work but it's now going in the bin. Fail!

2. La Roche Posay Effaklar Duo + appeared in a recent favourites post (read it here) because it is a great moisturiser/ treatment for oily, spot prone skin and it helps keep my skin clear. I don't use it every night because I slightly vary my skincare routine depending on how my skin is feeling but I have already repurchased it.

3. La Roche Posay Effeclar Duo Mat is a lightweight gel-cream moisturiser that I like for under makeup on my oily skin. It sinks in quickly and doesn't make me any more shiny than I already am. Another repurchase.

4. La Roche Posay Serozinc is a spring water and zinc spray toner that hydrates the skin and also works to prevent blemishes. I use it after my acid toner and before moituriser. I have already repurchased.

5. Neutrogena Visibly Clear Pink Grapefruit Cream Wash is my usual morning face wash. It contains salicylic acid so is good for spot prevention and oilier skins but the cream texture means that it isn't too drying like some cleansers aimed at my skin type can be. I am already well underway with another tube.

6. Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish is a great product that really agrees with my skin and helps to keep it clear. I always enjoy it when I use it but go back and forth about whether to carry on buying it or stick with my next favourite, the Superdrug Naturally Radiant Hot Cloth Cleanser which is a lot cheaper. You can see my comparison post here. The Superdrug one is almost as good in my opinion but the Liz Earle has the edge so I'll probably treat myself to it again at some point.

Hair Products



1. Batiste Dry Shampoo in the 'Sweetie' scent worked well as do all the other scents. I gave this one a go because I'm always interested to see what the new scents are like and it was nice enough but there are others I prefer. I currently have the Tropical version that smells of coconuts, yum!

2. Garnier Ultimate Blends The Sleek Perfector Oil was a nice hair oil but there are others I like too. I'm currently using the Macadamia Healing Oil Treatment instead and I'm about half way through it as I had the two on the go at once. I always use a hair oil before I blow dry but at the moment I'm not sure which one I will repurchase or whether to try something new.

Perfumes


1. Marc Jacobs Oh Lola is one of my very favourite perfumes and is actually what I wore for our wedding so it's special to me. I was sad to finish this and can't justify buying it myself as I have a few perfumes already but my birthday is coming up in May so I may well see if I can persuade hubby to get me a new one!

2. Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy is a scent I enjoy but I wish it lasted longer on my skin. I have the 'Noir' version, which I prefer over the original because it lasts longer on me and I just slightly prefer the scent, so I can't see myself repurchasing this one.

Makeup


1. Bourjois Healthy Mix Concealer is a bit of a fail for me. It's very thick so I'm not a fan of it for underneath my eyes and it's not long lasting enough on my oily skin for me to use on blemishes. I tried to make this work quite a few times but I have others I prefer so I'm binning this one and won't be buying it again.

2. Bourjois Happy Light Matte Primer was another fail unfortunately. I bought this a long time ago and had it stashed in a drawer but am throwing it away because I haven't used it in so long. It doesn't really do anything to keep skin matte at all and doesn't help with longevity of my makeup. I definitely won't be buying this again.

3. Rimmel Stay Matte Powder is a staple for me. It's a great setting powder for oily skin and cheap too. It is something I always repurchase.

4. Sleek Brow Perfector in Light is my favourite brow gel. It gives brows a slight tint so it great on its own or over brow pencil or powder. Definite repurchase.

5. L'oreal Lumi Maqique Concealer wasn't my favourite but I think it was my own fault, really. I should have known from the packaging (click pen) that it's a similar product to the YSL Touch Eclat, which is actually more of an illuminating product than a proper concealer. I used this up by mixing it with another concealer because it juts doesn't have enough coverage for me. It's not a bad product if it's what you like but isn't for me.

6. MUA Pro-Base Eye Primer is a great eye primer for the bargain price of £2.50 from Superdrug. It really does keep my eye shadow in place and helps fading. It's not quite as good as the UD Primer Potion (which I use if I have a long day, for nights out etc), but for day to day, it does a great job. I have already repurchased it.

7. Makeup Revolution Eye Shadow in 'Touch Me' is a matte cream shade that I always have in my makeup bag. It's super pigmented and costs just £1! It's also a dupe of MAC Blanc Type which costs about 10 times the price! I like having a matte ivory/ cream shade to use as a matte brow bone highlight and to blend out the edge of shade I put in the crease. I have already repurchased and actually have a back up as well.

8. Max Factor False Lash Effect Mascara 24 Hr was just ok to me. A lot of people love the Max Factor False Lash mascaras but they have a huge brush that doesn't do a lot for my lashes. I got it as a gift with purchase and used most of it up as a first coat then put another mascara I prefer over it as the second coat (I always do two anyway). I won't be purchasing it, though.

9. Seventeen Falsifeye HD Mascara, on the other hand, is one of my favourite mascaras and does a really goo job for the price. I think the effect is pretty similar to Benefit's They're Real so if you like that, this is worth a shot! Definite repurchase.

Have you tried any of these products? What do you think?

Em x