top under header

Sunday, 7 February 2016

DIY Cold Remedy: Honey, Lemon and Ginger Drink


I mentioned in my January fashion & lifestyle favourites post that I have been drinking a honey, lemon and ginger drink to sooth cold symptoms and I really do think it helped me feel better. The kick of the ginger unbungs you (a bit like how eating something spicy would really) and has been used for thoudsands of years as an immune system booster. The honey soothes the throat and everyone needs a bit of vitamin c when they're ill. I thought I'd share it since we're not out of cold and flu season yet so this is how I make it...

1. Use the finest holes on a grater to grate about a 1 inch piece of fresh ginger. You can use a little less if you're not a fan but it will have less of an effect. Personally I love the taste of ginger anyway so it doesn't bother me. You could peel it first if you want to but I don't bother because it's not going to stay in your drink.

2. Pour 1 cup of boiling water on the ginger, give it a mix and leave to stand for 2-3 minutes. I measure out the water in the mug I'm going to use then pour it into a jug with the ginger. You are in effect making a sort of ginger tea.

3. While you are waiting, squeeze the juice of half a lemon into the mug. Add 2 heaped teaspoons of honey and mix together.

4. After the 2-3 minutes, pour the ginger 'tea' into the cup through a sieve. Throw away the ginger mush left in the sieve and enjoy your drink!

Have you ever tried this for a cold? Do you have any other remedies that make you feel better?

Em x