top under header

Wednesday, 18 November 2015

Review: Masque Bar Luminizing Charcoal Peel Off Mask


I recently picked up a box of Masque Bar's Luminizing Charcoal Peel Off Masks. Interestingly, the box says these are made in Korea, a country that is becoming well known for its skincare products. Inside the box you get three one use sachets. At £9.99 full price, I thought they were a bit on the pricey side (there are other masks around the same price that come in a tube and I can get a lot more uses from) but as they were on offer for £6, I decided to give them a go and I thought I'd let you know how I got on with them.

The first time I used this mask, I must say that I found it a little difficult to get all of the mask out of the little sachet. I opened it and squeezed the mask bit by bit onto a flat foundation brush (I don't use it for foundation but it's great for masks) and painted it onto my skin. It probably would have been less fiddly to put the mask into a bowl or something first but having said that, it would also waste some of the product.

Being a charcoal mask, it is a black goop and it feels kind of messy to apply but once it's on, it starts to dry reasonably quickly. The packet says to leave it on for 20-30 minutes or until completely dry and I would say it took about 30 for every bit of it to dry.

Then came the scary part...peeling it off. Let me say that this is not one of those wimpy peel off masks that comes off really easily. I lifted the top edge and slowly started to peel it downwards like it says on the box. It was definitely a bit uncomfortable! I mean not extreme pain or anything but it was a bit like ripping a plaster off...but obviously more slowly because it's covering your whole face. The fact that it had such a good grip and felt like this to peel off, however, makes me think that it is actually pulling any gunk out of my pores etc. I think it is great for if your skin is feeling a bit congested and I imagine it would also be great for blackheads.

What this also makes me think is that you need to be VERY careful you don't get it in your eyebrows/ hairline. It does mention this on the packet but it's worth noting that they really do mean it-I can imagine that peeling the stuff away would take your eyebrows or hair with it!

Once I had peeled the whole mask off (99% of it came off in one piece) my skin felt super clean and fresh as well as really soft. There were just a couple of little bits around the edge of my face that had been left behind so I rinsed my face then continued with my usual night time skincare routine.

Overall I think this seems like a good mask for congested skin/ deep cleansing but only if you are prepared to put up with the 'pulling the plaster off' type feeling. I'm not sure whether I'd pay the full price of £9.99 because I still think it's slightly pricey for 3 single applications, but I was pretty happy with it for £6 and am thinking of picking up another pack while they're still on offer.

Have you tried this or the other Masque Bar masks?

Em x