top under header

Thursday, 5 November 2015

A Day Out In Formby


Me and the hubby had a couple of days off work together last week and we decided to visit a place that I hadn't been since I was a kid-the National Trust site in Formby (near to Southport for anyone wondering). There is a little woodland with, as they call it, a 'squirrel walk' (more on that in a minute) and you can walk through the woodland and onto Formby beach.


We definitely enjoyed the day as it was a lovely place to walk around. It seems very bizarre to be driving down a road full of houses then before you know it you're in the middle of a woodland. We spent a good two and a half hours walking through the woodland and along the beach. Boy did I get my exercise in that day-climbing over the sand dunes seemed near impossible with my short little legs-I just kept sliding backwards with each step lol. Good fun though! A walk along the beach was nice even in the chilly Autumn weather because it was still quite bright.




We came across a couple of interesting carvings on the way, each one made from a single tree trunk and based on the farmland near by...


As for the squirrels...well I was slightly dubious after looking at the reviews on Trip Advisor. They were very mixed and some reviewers said they saw no squirrels at all. It turned out that we saw four, which was a little disappointing considering how many there used to be when I was a kid. I even brought a bag of nuts to try to attract them to no avail. It is pretty rare to see red squirrels these days (although we regularly see lots of the grey variety where we live) so it was nice to see them all the same.

I managed to get a few photos of them, although they could be clearer due to the speed they were moving at (I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue for a pro photographer but I'm not one!). I don't think I've ever seen squirrels move so fast!


It's free to walk around the reserve, although there is a £5.60 parking charge, unless you are a National Trust member, in which case it's free. Overall, we enjoyed the day although it was sad to see the squirrel population in serious decline.

Have you ever visited National Trust Formby or anywhere similar?

Em x