top under header

Monday, 3 August 2015

What's In My Travel Wash Bag: City Break


In a few days, I'm heading to Edinburgh for a little city break with my husband. We're staying for 3 nights and keeping in mind that we are travelling by train, I didn't want too much stuff to lug around. I've already packed my wash bag and my strategy was to pack things from my stash of minis (I put samples/ minis from gift sets etc into a drawer so I can grab them when I'm going somewhere) and use travel pots/ bottles where I couldn't do that. I am taking everything in this pretty floral wash bag that I picked up quite a long time ago in TK Maxx. It reminds me a lot of Cath Kidston.


As far as hair goes, I'm really not taking a lot. Firstly I have Batiste tropical dry shampoo. I normally wash my hair about twice a week and dry shampoo it once in between washes. As I have long hair, I don't like to dry out the ends by washing and blow drying it every day, not to mention the time it would take. If I wash my hair on the day we go then I can make it last til the day we come home with some dry shampoo. I am bringing a small-ish 150ml can rather than the tiny 50ml travel ones because my husband has been known to steal this too and I don't want to run out when I need it. Secondly, the Percy and Reed Finishing Polish is an essential hair styling product for me. This is a mini size that came as a gift with purchase when I bought a full size tube. I have wavy hair that I like to style so it's a bit more curly. I will style it properly before going and then I can spruce it up a bit on days 2 and 3 by scrunching a little of this in. On the day we come home I've no doubt it will just get thrown up in a bun.


As far as bath and body products go, I have a Dove Deeply Nourishing Body Wash. There wasn't any particular thought behind this other than the fact that it was the smallest body wash I had. The Dove body washes are nice, though. Our hotel room is supposed to have a bath and since we will be doing a lot of walking, I might appreciate a nice soak. I therefore put in a mini Aromatherapy Associates Bath and Shower Oil in the De-stress mind variety. For a body moisturiser, I have again just gone for the smallest thing I had, which was a little pot of Nivea Soft cream.


I find that skincare is the most difficult part of my wash bag to pack because although I want to cut out the bulk, I want to stick to my usual routine to avoid my skin going crazy. For morning, I have put a little bit of my Neutrogena Visibly Clear Pink Grapefruit Cream Wash into one travel pot and a bit of my Murad Oil Control Mattifier SPF15 into another. For an eye cream, I am bringing the Simple Age Resisting eye cream. My last step in the morning is the Nuxe Reve de Miel lip balm, which I apply both morning and night to keep my lips in good condition.


In the evening,  I will take off the bulk of my face make up with this mini 100ml size of the Garnier Micellar Water. I have also packed an absolutely tiny 10ml bottle of my Garnier simply essentials 2 in 1 make up remover, which I use for my eyes. This was actually a sample of Clarins cleanser but I washed out the bottle and kept it. It's so tiny that I thought it would come in useful and it should be just enough for 3 nights. Once I have got my make up off, I then clean my skin properly with a cleanser and for that I am bringing a mini Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish and a muslin cloth which was a freebie when I ordered from their website. I use the Nip and Fab Glycolic Fix pads as an exfoliating toner in the evening and my skin doesn't like it when I don't use these so in they went. I folded 3 little pads into a small pot rather than bringing the bulky container they come in. After that I use a hydrating toner, but my usual La Roche Posay Serozinc is too bulky so I've instead put in a mini of La Roche Posay thermal water spray, which I already had. It's not quite the same but will do for 3 nights. I then have my Simple Age Reisting Eye Cream  and a mini Josie Maran Argan Oil Light to use as my night time moisturiser, which was a freebie with a Sephora order. I usually use the Clarins Lotus oil but I've been testing out this sample. It does the job and is nice and small.


For perfume, I am taking a mini of Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy Noir and a mini Ralph Lauren Pony Collection Pink because I happen to have those perfumes in small sizes. They came with larger perfumes in gift sets I've received. Other than that, I just have a few essentials like a toothbrush (I normally use an electric one but swap to a manual one for travel), a mini Colgate Sensitive toothpaste, Sure Crystal Deodorant, a small Tresemme paddle hairbrush and cotton pads and buds.

As you can see, there are quite a few individual items I am taking, but since everything is small, it doesn't add up to too much, with everything fitting inside a not-too-large wash bag.

What do you like to take in your wash bag when you travel?

Em x