top under header

Monday, 10 August 2015

Experimental Baking: Simple Apple and Cinnamon Cake


This cake all started when I bought a massive bag of Bramley apples reduced to 49p at Morrisons. I picked them up and thought I'd do some apple related baking! This was a bit of an experiment really because I didn't follow a recipe, I just did my own thing.

I started by peeling and cutting up the apples and sort of stewing them...well my cheats method using a microwave lol. I simply microwaved them a cereal bowl at a time for around 2 and a half minutes, with a tablespoon of water and a sprinkling of caster sugar. After about a minute and half, open the microwave and give them a mix about/ chop them up a bit more then put then back in for the other minute. What you should end up with is basically some yummy mushy apples (boy am I making those sound appealing haha) that look something like this...



I actually mashed them up a bit more with a fork after taking this photo, then put them to one side to cool and made a basic sponge cake mix. I made a double mix because I wanted to make 2 cakes (some to give to family) but per cake you would need to cream together 4oz sugar and 4oz butter, then mix in 2 eggs and finally 4oz flour.


I then brought my apples back in and added some to my cake mix. Now you can vary this depending on how strong you want them to taste of apple, but you can go overboard because of course they will affect the consistency of your cake mix. I added 6 very heaped dessert spoons to my mix (so 3 per cake). I would say that a good heaped dessert spoon is probably equivalent to one medium Bramley apple. I also sprinkled in some cinnamon. Again I just sprinkled in what I thought but you can vary it depending how much you like cinnamon, or skip it all together if you want. I just think it goes so well with apples and personally I really love it (you only have to look at my easy cinnamon rolls post to know that! Since this thinned out the mixture, I added about 2 tablespoons more of flour just to thicken it up again slightly.



I lined 2 loaf tins (obviously you can line one if you're making a single cake) and poured in the mixture then put them in a pre-heated oven at gas mark 6. After about 20 minutes , I sprinkled on some brown sugar. I used a mixture of soft brown and demerara because I had just a little of each left in the cupboard. To be cooked, which you can tell by inserting a knife or a skewer in (if it comes out clean it is cooked), it took about 45 minutes.

For something that I just threw together without a recipe, it was super tasty! The apples keep the cake moist and the cinnamon and brown sugar is so nice with the apple taste!

I left the rest of my 'stewed' apples to cool completely then put them into a plastic container for freezing. This way I can use them for something else at a later date and they won't go to waste.

What do you think? Do you ever just throw together a cake without a recipe?

Em x