top under header

Wednesday, 12 August 2015

A Hot Cloth Cleanser Dupe? Liz Earle Vs Superdrug


Hot cloth cleansers are ten a penny these days. I currently go between the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish and the Superdrug Naturally Radiant Brightening Hot Cloth Cleanser. I like to use both of these in the same way in that I get the majority of my make up off first with eye make up remover and either micellar remover or a wipe, then use this to make sure my face is clean. You can remove make up with either of these (it actually works well), but I usually prefer to get rid of the bulk of it first before rubbing in one of these cleansers then removing it with a muslin cloth and hot water.

First, let's talk about the price difference. The Liz Earle is £15.50 here for 100ml of the cleanser and 2 muslin cloths. The Superdrug version is a mere £5.99 with 1 muslin cloth but is often on offer. As I am writing this, it is more or less half price at £2.95 here. Not only that but you actually get 50% more in the Superdrug version, which contains 150ml. I currently have a 150ml size of the Liz Earle but that was around the £20 mark.

Packaging wise, I must say that I prefer the Superdrug version. The pump of the Liz Earle one is nice as it dispenses the same amount each time and keeps everything very hygienic. However, the one downside is that you can't tell when it's going to run out, which is a bit of a problem if you're someone who only uses one cleanser and doesn't have another to use if you run out unexpectedly. The Superdrug one is a squeezy tube so it's obviously very easy to tell when you're running low.

The two products smell slightly  different, with the Liz Earle containing eucalyptus oil, which I'm pretty sure is what gives it a slightly cooling feeling on the skin. They do, however, both have a herbal smell so they're not miles apart. The Superdrug one smells a little more synthetic but it doesn't smell bad. As far as personal preference goes, I do slightly prefer the scent of the Liz Earle, which feels like a more relaxing scent, but that alone isn't really worth the price difference.

In each picture, left: Superdrug, right: Liz Earle
The Liz Earle has a slightly thicker consistency that the Superdrug version and as a result, I do think that the Liz Earle feels like a more luxurious texture on my skin as I rub it in. The Superdrug one is still quite creamy feeling, though. As you can see from the photos above (Superdrug on the left, Liz Earle on the right), are both a white cream. They basically do the same job of cleaning the skin without making it feel tight or dried out and also without leaving any residue (which I don't like on my combination-oily skin).

There is definitely a difference in the quality of the cloths. To keep things hygienic, you need to wash muslin cloths every few times you use them, in the wahing machine. The Superdrug ones very quickly start to look ragged and dog eared whereas the Liz Earle ones do stay much nicer for longer. This isn't a major factor for me because I have built up a lot of muslin cloths having bought several of each of these cleansers over time. If it's new to you, however, it might be a bit more of an issue in that you may have to buy more muslin cloths or flannels to go with it.

I must say that I'm not sure about the brightening claim with the Superdrug one. I guess that any product that provides mild exfoliation (which is done by the cloth in the case of hot cloth cleansers) will, over a long period of time, provide some brightening effect but being honest, nothing in comparison to using something like a chemical exfoliant, which will actually help to fade any marks/ scarring. I wouldn't let this put you off, though, as it is still a nice cleanser. The Liz Earle will have a similar mildly exfoliating effect.

Overall, I still really like the Liz Earle but honestly if you're trying to save your pennies or just don't want to spend that much on a cleanser then the Superdrug one is a great alternative. For me, the Superdrug version is something that I use more often and get through more of but the Liz Earle is something I will probably continue to buy every now and then as a treat to myself since it does feel a little more luxurious.

Have you tried either of these cleansers? Do you have a favourite hot cloth cleanser?

Em x